Re: Increasing regularity of build systems

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 06:36:47PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Klee had an interesting idea on this, that makes more sense I think. If
> you look at all the different kinds of programs that are being packages
> you notice that a lot of them fall into quite well-defined categories
> such as Imake-based, automake-based, GNU-style, etc.
>
> It would make sense to make a single tool for each type that can be
> used to handle a package of that type. So you get db_automake, db_gnu,
> etc.

This is a good way to organize such tools, but I'd like to make another
suggestion:

Rather than define helpers which are external programs, why not define
helpers which are .include files for make -- there's a lot that goes on
in a makefile which is repetitious and which isn't just external programs.

--
Raul