Re: Increasing regularity of build systems

Klee had an interesting idea on this, that makes more sense I think. If
you look at all the different kinds of programs that are being packages
you notice that a lot of them fall into quite well-defined categories
such as Imake-based, automake-based, GNU-style, etc.

It would make sense to make a single tool for each type that can be
used to handle a package of that type. So you get db_automake, db_gnu,
etc.

I really really don't want to see something like debhelper or other
debianization-tools in dpkg. dpkg is the package manager, and dpkg-dev
has the minimal things necessary to build package and manage archives of
packages. It is the basis on which we should build, and extensions to
make packaging easier should be seperate.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl