Re: Metapackages (was Re: Debian Weekly News - September 14th, 1999)

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 09:27:25AM +0900, Germano Leichsenring wrote:
> Actually about these "metapackages", what about having a new field
> in the /var/lib/dpkg/info/available file, the "Keywords:" field?
> The keywords would be predefined, and it would be _much_ easier to
> find a package... now, if I don't know the name of a package, I have
> to grep through the "available" file for the keyword.
>
> Example of keywords:
> gtop -> gnome
> pcmcia-cs -> laptop
> ppp, xisp, fetchmail -> dialup
>
> So, if I have a laptop, dselect looks for the laptop keyword and
> shows me what I could/should install. What do you think?

How is this different from metapackages? After all, all you have
to do is look at the metapackage's dependencies itself to see
what it gives you.

I just don't see why there should be another keyword when it's already
working perfectly well.