Re: history (Was Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer)

With Debian distributions, and small disks, I have found this to always be
sufficient:

/     32M
/var  96M
swap  32M or more.
/usr  all the rest

/home is a symlink to /usr/home
/tmp  is a symlink to /var/tmp

For more than 150 megs of disk space, I have found this the best way of
partitioning.  For less, you are correct, one big filesystem is the only way
to go.

For your average user, with their brand new 4.3 gig harddrive (smallest you
can buy these days), it's the only way to go.

BTW, one great thing about Linux is, fsck is incredibly fast compared to BSD
:-)

Thing is, if you crash, you can boot in single user mode, and fsck'ing /
will be almost instantaneous, and you'll have a usable system, instead of
being stuck waiting for fsck.  You can then fsck /usr at your discretion.

The "one large partition" scheme is indeed the only solution for small
drives.  But given they are in such a vast minority, the current scheme of
providing sensible defaults and popping the installer into a tool for
creating your own arbitrary partition scheme is really the best.
(at least, Im ASSUMING we do that the same as FreeBSD... I haven't installed
Debian in a while.  Just duplicated already working drives)