Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

>>>Steve Lamb wrote:
 > seems foolish.  /usr/local is for stuff I compile locally.  What we have now
 > may not be the best, but it is a far cry better than what FreeBSD does.

You mean having to dive into almost every perl script (not Linux
developed) and change #!/usr/local/bin/perl to #!/usr/bin/perl, as a
Unix (that means non Linux) standard all non-base part of the
installation end up in /usr/local, there for if you like to be portabe
beetween different Unix dialekt one has do put the local compoiled
packades somewahe ele that /usr/local, but we also get problems with
that approach. Nothing will get easy, the main problem with everything
/usr/ is that it's hard to divide. (Changeing all perl script are med by
one simple command, ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl, not a that
beutifull but very efficant...)

/ Balp