Re: Shortening release cycles

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:36:44PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:

> I liked a lot of these ideas, but:
>
> On 12-Sep-99, 20:22 (CDT), Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:
> > Our current situation results in our stable release being hopelessly
> > out-dated and the unstable release not being releaseable.  That's
> > quite bad for a lot of our fellow users and developers.
>
> and then wrote:
> >     No major changes are allowed to go into the distribution after two
> >     months after the last release.  (e.g. release on december 1st,
> >     major changes are only allowed to happen until february 1st).
>
> If you release every six months, this leads to up to 10 months before
> a new release of a package makes it into stable. Suppose Xfree86 4.0
> is released on feb 10th. That's too late for the june 1 release (which
> froze on feb 1) so it won't be released until dec 1. People will complain.

We are right now worst than that.

As I see it, doing freezes based on time it's better than waiting because we
wanted to do something and that thing delay the entire project.

Maybe not all newest things are in but it stable.
Maybe not all packages meet the newest's policies in the freeze time but our
users use the *newest* stable debian distribution with a lot of new versions
of packages.

--
bye
    Carlos Barros.