Re: Shortening release cycles

I liked a lot of these ideas, but:

and then wrote:
>     No major changes are allowed to go into the distribution after two
>     months after the last release.  (e.g. release on december 1st,
>     major changes are only allowed to happen until february 1st).

If you release every six months, this leads to up to 10 months before
a new release of a package makes it into stable. Suppose Xfree86 4.0
is released on feb 10th. That's too late for the june 1 release (which
froze on feb 1) so it won't be released until dec 1. People will complain.

(Not me, as I'm not one of those who believes anything more than a month
old is "hopelessly outdated".)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read