Re: /opt/ again (was Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was:

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     If I got real, >technical< answers from people instead of the typical
> ideological hype maybe I wouldn't be as defensive about it.  As it stands this
> is now at least the 3rd or 4th time I've seen the whole FreeBSD item
> mentioned.  I'm getting sick of seeing it.
>
>     Debian is not FreeBSD.
>
>     We do things the Debian way.
>
>     If we wanted to do things the FreeBSD way, we'd use FreeBSD.
>
>     Stop trying to make Debian FreeBSD just because you or someone else thinks
> that FreeBSD is the latest cool thing.
>
>     Want me to be calm about it, address the items I have brought forth
> instead of rehashing the rhetoric!

The only ideological hype in this discussion has been from Mr Lamb.
I may be a relative newbie to Steve but I am well educated in Language and
Philosophy.  Mr Lamb, please make a concise and well reasoned argument
for your position.  Reference to the "Debian Way" appears too much like
dogma.  To dismiss a suggestion because it is similar to another OS's
approach does not make the case.
Steve, please enlighten me on two points:
Why is placing third-party bianary packages in /opt a bad thing?
What makes the FHS a bad standard?

Maybe if your position was more clearly stated, then this discussion could
progress.  Or is that what you want to prevent.