Re: Last Chance to Save: bplay

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote:

> Now I can't even get it to work on my computer, which is pretty bad
> when I'm the maintainer.

bplay 0.96-9 works here without big problems (I only noted the minor
problems in #13296 and #43571 but I can live with them), but I only
use the bplay binary and never tried the brec program (for recording I
use xwave), so I personally didn't run into the trouble which was
noted in the grave bug reports (they only depend on brec).

> Buffered audio playing and reading could be a good idea, but I don't
> need it and can use wavtools instead.

But wavp from xwavtools doesn't support reading from standard in, one
of the features in bplay which I didn't find in many similar tools and
which is the cause for me to use bplay (creating a temp file isn't
always a solution, because it needs time and disc space).

> I think trying to fix this package is to much work for to little
> gain. It has 3 merged release critical bugs and some normal bugs.

> There has never been a working glibc-2.1 version. And if nobody
> screams "I need it, and I have a working version" I will begin to
> remove it from potato next week.

0.96-9 is a version which works for me, at least the bplay binary.  If
you ask me, you can remove the brec part, which may be done better by
other programs and only leave bplay.

> Please take a look at wavtool or any other sound player before
> screaming.

I looked at many alternatives but I always came back to bplay, because
it offers buffering _and_ streaming from stdin without the overhead of
rplay (rplay was the only other tool I found, which supported stdin
and buffering).

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF