Re: XFree86 3.3.5 package status (was: Debian's problems)

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 10:04:45AM +0200, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > 1) The #1 reason this is taking so long is because I am finally going
> >    through all our patches and breaking them up by logical function in
> >    preparation for submission upstream.  One patch file alone separated
> >    into roughly FORTY different patches of distinct function that we can
> >    send upstream.
>
> Will this help to downsize the release time?

Yes.  The single biggest thing that puts time between an upstream release
of XFree86 and our .debs of it is migrating our .diff's that fail to apply
cleanly.

> > 2) There will be a 3.3.6, to be released sometime in the fourth quarter of
> >    this year.  We are probably doomed to lag at least one release behind
> >    XFree86.  Our release cycle continues at its plodding slow pace, but
> >    XFree86 is apparently speeding theirs up.
>
> A new xfree and a new kernel (2.4) also?  Is 3.3.6 for potato -- the glibc-2.1
> one ?

3.3.6 isn't out yet.  If it is released before potato freezes, then yes, I
will package it for potato.  If not, then probably not, but we'll see (I
may argue for an exception if the vast bulk of 3.3.6 happens to be upstream
incorporating patches we've already been applying for months or years -- no
way to tell yet).

> When will you upload 3.3.5?

When it's ready.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Exercise your freedom of religion.  Set