XFree86 3.3.5 package status (was: Debian's problems)

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 11:00:19PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> Now, there are some definite goals for potato, which I'm familiar
> with:
[...]
>  - X 3.3.5

Just so everyone knows, I am working on this.

A few points of information:

1) The #1 reason this is taking so long is because I am finally going
   through all our patches and breaking them up by logical function in
   preparation for submission upstream.  One patch file alone separated
   into roughly FORTY different patches of distinct function that we can
   send upstream.
2) There will be a 3.3.6, to be released sometime in the fourth quarter of
   this year.  We are probably doomed to lag at least one release behind
   XFree86.  Our release cycle continues at its plodding slow pace, but
   XFree86 is apparently speeding theirs up.
3) I still don't know what I'm supposed to do about updated versions of X
   for slink.  I'd like the stable-updates person/people to speak with me
   about the plausibility of a 3.3.4-0slink3 release (0slink2 is already
   available and contains a security fix, but 0slink3 will contain some
   non-security fixes that are important for functionality on non-i386
   arches.)
4) I do not think it is reasonable to update XFree86 3.3.2.3 for slink in
   any way, shape or form, stable-updates policy be damned.  Tons of bugs
   have been fixed since slink released, and it would be an unspeakable bitch
   to backport them.  There is also the not inconsiderable issue of lots of
   hardware that 3.3.4 supports that 3.3.2.3 doesn't.
5) If we're going to update slink, I'd like folks to consider doing it with
   3.3.5.  It is a very small incremental release over 3.3.4 (if you don't
   believe me, I have a diff) that fixed some admitted oversights in the
   3.3.4 release.

BTW, the slinkified 3.3.4 packages are on the web.  Read about them at
<http://www.debian.org/~branden/>.  Joey Hess deserves the credit for them.
I just hacked them up with security fixes.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    Communism is just one step on the long
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    road from capitalism to capitalism.