Re: DOOM Source Code License

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 05:46:45AM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> > > John (very quickly!) just wrote back to me and told me that any data
> > > files would have to be COMPLETELY original - no pictures, floors, tiles,
> > > etc can be used from the original doom wad. Of course, if we couldn't
> > > find any completely Free wad files/etc, we can package the shareware
> > > files in non-free (which I also told him.)
> >
> > Doesn't benefit lxdoom...
> >
> > But you can put lxdoom in contrib along with an installer for the wadfile.
>
> That's what I originally planned to do, anyways. The benefit of lxdoom
> becoming GPL means that it can be distributed - which I wasn't aware of
> - and lxdoom was planning on supporting non-original wadfiles later
> anyways. Maybe this could be a bit of a push to the author (or me.. I
> might find some time in-between school, which starts tomorrow (!)) to
> enhance it to work properly.  And all the while, here are my ancient The
> Ultimate DOOM disks, waiting to get used...

You need sponsorship of your packages?  I'd be happy to proxy uploads for
you.  I'm also considering having my little quake-maint list replaced with
an actual lists.debian.org 3dgames list which would be just nifty.  I may
not be able to host the quake-maint list locally anymore--have to
disconnect from the net too often lately.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3