Re: security.debian.org mirrors?

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Guy Maor wrote:
> > I thought that the whole point of security was that the packages would
> > stay there forever.  That way an advisory could refer to the URLs and
> > always be right.
>
> Which was my idea as well, but it seems both Joey and Jason would prefer
> to have things removed from there when they are installed into stable.
> Perhaps we should debate on this?

I have thought and slept over this for a while.  I've come to the conclusion
that it would be better to keep them at security.debian.org until the
next major release has been done.

The main reason is convenience and service to our fellow users.

If the packages would be kept at security.debian.org until a next major
release happens, they would only need to add one host to their apt or
dpkg-ftp configuration.  If we would remove them, they would have to
add both, a line to stable and a line to security.debian.org which
is more work.

However, I won't object doing it the other way round, I just won't enforce
that.

Regards,

	Joey
	Debian Security Team

--
There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.