Re: Tcl-ja/Tk-ja

In <[🔎] qh2lnaoulrv.fsf@habanero.cse.msu.edu> (Sep.03 1999 23:12 JST),
``Re: Tcl-ja/Tk-ja'',
dunham@cse.msu.edu says:
=   Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> writes:
=
=   > From: Vincent Renardias <vincent@ldsol.com>
=   > Subject: Re: Tcl-ja/Tk-ja (Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP:
=   >  grep-ja))
=   > Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:51:40 +0000 (GMT)
=   >
=   > > Then file a bug report against tcl-8.2 saying it doesn't support unicode
=   > > as it should. It may be something as simple as bad compilation flags,
=   > > but this does *NOT* justifies a package fork.
=   > > (If we had to fork each buggy package, we'd have about 600 versions of
=   > > dpkg by now ;).
=   >
=   > I think it is a specification, NOT a bug, of Tcl/Tk 8.2.
=   > So Debian maintainer is not responsible.
=   >
=   > Yes, it SUPPORTS utf-8. What I need is support of XIM
=   > (X Input Method), to input Japanese text in 'text' and
=   > 'entry' widgets.  This is not supported yet by Tcl/Tk 8.2.
=   > I think the future version of Tcl/Tk will support it.
=   > TILL THEN I need -ja version of Tcl/Tk.
=
=   If the -ja patches don't break any non-japanese stuff, then shouldn't
=   they be added to the main tcl/tk packages?  We really shouldn't have
=   any -ja packages, unless absolutely necessary.  If the patches don't
=   break non-ja stuff, then they should be in the main package.  Debian
=   wants to support all languages out of the box.

XIM is not Japanese-specific stuff.