Re: What are these .dhelp files?

[Paul, sorry this took so long, I'm only sporiadically reading -devel.
CC me directly too please.]

Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:

> Hmm, are packages allowed to create "random" files under /usr ?
> I.e. files that aren't registered with dpkg?

Yup.  It isn't the best design, but that's a flaw which I had hoped to
fix in newer doc-basen.

> > > Won't this cause a pain in the butt when trying to get rid of /usr/doc ?
> >
> > No, because when you remove a package, the maintainer script should
> > run 'install-docs -r <docic>' which will remove the .dhelp files.
> >
> > I just tested it and it works fine....
>
> Ah, but when we're moving from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc, the package
> isn't being removed, is it? It's being upgraded. This means that the
> .dhelp file in the old location gets left behind, and dpkg finds a
> non-empty directory in /usr/doc/ and leaves it behind...  At least,
> that's what I've seen happening.

If you invoke stuff right in prerm, you can avoid this.  Most people
don't do this.  I guess just more /usr/doc pain and suffering.