Re: Latest UNISYS LZW patent nonsense -- $5,000 for every web site

Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:

   "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <vizzie@airmail.net> writes:

   > I assume it makes sense at this point, given this latest information,
   > to remove libgif from our distributions? Unfortunately, I don't think
   > Debian can afford the risk of a $5000 licence fee. Or am I just
   > paranoid?

   Well, we just have every free software user send them a (seperate)
   letter requesting a permission for each piece of free software on
   their system, burying Unisys in paperwork.  :)

We could put it in the postinst to all gif-related software, like the
Netscape registration mailer...