Re: Latest UNISYS LZW patent nonsense -- $5,000 for every web site

  tm> On 25 Aug 1999, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
  >> Well, UNISYS is up to it again. They want $5,000 (count 'em: five
  >> THOUSAND DOLLARS) from *every* web site that uses GIFs, TIFFs, or
  >> PDF files with LZW compression.
  >>
  >> And that $5,000 only covers two servers at your site, so you'd
  >> better stock up on those licenses now!
  >>
  >> http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html

  tm> Check this out, from the Unisys license FAQ:

  tm>     Unisys has frequently been asked whether a Unisys license is
  tm> required in order to use LZW software obtained by downloading
  tm> from the Internet or from other sources. The answer is
  tm> simple. In all cases, a written license agreement or statement
  tm> signed by an authorized Unisys representative is required from
  tm> Unisys for all use, sale or distribution of any software
  tm> (including so-called "freeware") and/or hardware providing LZW
  tm> conversion capability (for example, downloaded software used for
  tm> creating/displaying GIF images). In certain cases, no license
  tm> fees may be required, but this needs to be evidenced by a
  tm> written agreement or written statement signed by an authorized
  tm> Unisys representative.

  tm> It appears that the issue is much larger than just webservers.
  tm> Unisys wants to go after webservers because they are visible.
  tm> Maybe we should drive them nuts trying to find out if we need
  tm> end-user licenses for convert, imagemagick, gimp, xv, xfig, etc.
  tm> It seems like a couple hundred thousand requests might make them
  tm> rethink their policy.  It's going to cost far more to enforce a
  tm> "no license fees" license than they'll make off of the other
  tm> licenses.

I assume it makes sense at this point, given this latest information,
to remove libgif from our distributions? Unfortunately, I don't think
Debian can afford the risk of a $5000 licence fee. Or am I just
paranoid?

-Larry
--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/