Re: FS Corruption

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 09:56:34PM -0400, Steve Przepiora wrote:
> Hi, I normally wouldn't post this to this list except for the circumstances.
The past couple of days I have rebuilt my box twice because of file system
corruption. The first time I awoke in the morning to read my email on a
read-only system. I rebuilt the box, stock stable distribution, and ran it for
a while. Everything went fine and then I installed 2.2.11 and ran an apt-get
update/dselect-upgrade on the unstable dist. After installing the filesystem
was again hosed. I've been running this system for a while, but with older
kernels(2.2.10) just fine. Files get removed, or changed to 0 bytes,
permissions change and the such. Has anyone seen this or knows about problems?

> My system follows:
> AMD K6 266 OC'd to 300 running on 100mhz bus with PC100 RAM
> VIA chipset (dont remember the number, but its the one included in the 2.2.x kernels)
> Maxtor 11.6 G drive in UDMA mode

I'd install 2.2.12, or stick with 2.0.  Some 2.2 kernels had a well-known
file-system corruption problem which I believe (assume) is fixed in 2.2.12.

<time passes and I notice I haven't sent this email yet>

Apparently, 2.2.11 fixed this problem.. I'm running 2.2.10ac10 (Alan Cox's
kernel) at the moment, without problems.

Regards,
	Rob.