FS Corruption

Hi, I normally wouldn't post this to this list except for the circumstances. The past couple of days I have rebuilt my box twice because of file system corruption. The first time I awoke in the morning to read my email on a read-only system. I rebuilt the box, stock stable distribution, and ran it for a while. Everything went fine and then I installed 2.2.11 and ran an apt-get update/dselect-upgrade on the unstable dist. After installing the filesystem was again hosed. I've been running this system for a while, but with older kernels(2.2.10) just fine. Files get removed, or changed to 0 bytes, permissions change and the such. Has anyone seen this or knows about problems?
My system follows:
AMD K6 266 OC'd to 300 running on 100mhz bus with PC100 RAM
VIA chipset (dont remember the number, but its the one included in the 2.2.x kernels)
Maxtor 11.6 G drive in UDMA mode