Re: ITP: static-tools

Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.net.pl> writes:

>   1. Is it better to extract the needed sources from their source packages
>      and compile a completely separate .tar.gz and then keep it in sync with
>      the "parent packages", or perhaps it's more convenient to patch the
>      relevant packages to produce an extra -static.deb as a part of a
>      standard build process? Eg fileutils-static, shellutils-static etc?

Better keep it in one source, otherwise you might miss something. Also
it saves space.

>   2. Would it be convenient to write a POSIX-compliant shell script that
>      would be used to configure the bootmanagers DEbian has onboard (grub,
>      chos, lilo, loadlin).

Thats something for the debian-admintool list I think. You should
eigther use Joeys or my proposal as frontend and add the relevant
scripts to the lilo package. But both proposal are work in progress
and are not part of debian so far and not at all in base.
If you write a simple script to configure the bootmanager, adapting it
later to joeys or my proposal would be relative easy I think.

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin