Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Nathaniel Smith said:
[snip]
> memory, I have a patch to sash-2.1 implementing solution 1 by adding a new
> command '-tryexec', which will fork, the child execl()'s, the parent sleeps
> for TRYEXEC_SLEEP, and then checks up on the process with waitpid().  If
> the process has exited with an error, then we jump back to sash, otherwise,
> sash exits, orphaning the child.
>
> The patch should be available at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/43/43330.html.
> I've tried to be fairly paranoid about checking things, but I'd appreciate
> it if you all would check it out and look for ways that it could break
> and leave root without a shell.
Oops :)). I read this post after I posted my suggestion. Your patch seems to
be correct from the look of it. That's exactly what I had in mind, but
wouldn't it be more flexible to have a shell wrapper instead of putting this
behavior in sash? I mean if it was a separate program everybody could use
whatever pair of shells s/he wants - even a static bash if he's insane :)).

marek