Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer

On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 04:30:54PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <cistron.19990821100839.A2316@jab.home>,
> Sarel J. Botha <sjb@dundee.lia.net> wrote:
> >I agree with both of you, but how do you please the enduser and the
> >administrator/experienced user
>
> I think a lot of administrators would be pleased as well if most if
> not all services were turned off by default. I would - the first
> thing I do when I install a Debian box is to edit /etc/inetd.conf
> and /etc/hosts.allow

Maybe inetd setup should be part of the netbase (or is it netstd?) setup?

Presenting a user with options like "default", "all-off" and "custom" would be appropriate, and
something like the apache module configuration for custom.

Same for hosts.{allow,deny}, possibly. (Although, it is almost semi-reasonable to presume that
they don't want to block services, unless they explicitly do so)

--
-- Michael Samuel <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>