Re: RSA key in GNUPG

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 06:40:22AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 01:55:47PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen Ray" wrote:
> > > gpg just told me that I should create a new key instead of my old RSA one.
> > > Which coding should I use?
> >
> > The default that gpg offers (DSA IIRC).
>
> I just learned that my gpg key is 1024-Bit ELG one.
>
> The reason why gnupg did use an RSA key (my PGP key) is the following
> options file:
>
> load-extension rsa
> load-extension idea
> keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.pgp
> keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg
> keyring /home/michael/.pgp/pubring.pgp
> keyring /home/michael/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
> secret-keyring /home/michael/.pgp/secring.pgp
> secret-keyring /home/michael/.gnupg/secring.gpg
>
> I once created it to be able to use gnupg to read/write using pgp keys. But
> now I cannot tell it to not use the PGP key.

---end quoted text---

I've just gone through the exact same experience, so here's what I learned:

First, GPG's message about not using RSA is a political - not a technical -
advisory.  RSA key will work fine.

I was advised to set up my options file as you have it, and had similar
problems.  The most efficient solution I found was to import all my PGP keys
into my GPG keyrings.  This allowed me to use only my GPG keyrings (making
archiving and administering much simpler, also).
Then, to have GPG use the key of my choice, I added the following to
~/.gnupg/options:

  default-key <keyid> (if this is not specified, GPG will use the first key
		       found on the secret keyring)

Everything works fine for me now.
--
Regards,