Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

David Bristel wrote:
> Without getting into the CURRENT debate, I'd like to suggest that the problem
> with where docs are kept(/usr/doc vs /usr/share/doc) doesn't apply to Joey's
> original proposal to update stable with new and updated packages.  If slink has
> a policy to put documentation in /usr/doc, then that's where packages to be
> added to slink should put their docs, or at least make a symlink in there.  Back
> to the original topic, I'd like to ask if anyone has a problem with the
> stable-update release idea itself.  If you like the idea that we can offer
> updates to stable as well as unstable, then let's not worry about issues which
> should only be addressed when talking about the unstable release.  Speak your
> mind, Yes, it's a good idea, or No, it's not.  If you have an idea for new
> things to add to Debian, then that's for unstable.

You missed the second half of my stable update posting, which proposed that
the updated stable have programs modified to work with /usr/share/doc and
/usr/doc, so users could upgrade to it and then safely install packages from
potato.

Now, that was just a second half of the post, and I would like the firt half
to be considered independantly -- and most people seem to agree with the
first half, that there should be an update to stable with new X, kernel,
pcmcia, etc.

--
see shy jo