Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 10:51:05AM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> alternatively (I admit - the idea is a bit weird, but it might work :)),
> root shell should be set to some small static binary which would exec a
> "real" shell depending on the conditions. Basically it would work just like
> lshell does. The difference is that it would determine whether it is
> possible to load a dynamic shell (or a preferred one - settable in config
> file) and, if the exec fails, then load an emergency shell - a static one.
> How about that idea?

If there are missing libraries the exec will still succeed (the program
will immediately exit, but you probably don't want sash to start every
time you exit bash...) It is possible to do what you're looking for, but
unless I saw code that showed otherwise, I'm inclined to think it's too
complicated for this application. (If it's going to be the default
shell, it need to be very small and very simple, so it can be fairly
easily understood by those who want to know why we've got this oddball
login routine.)

Mike Stone