Re: question about version numbers

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> Santiago Vila writes:
> > considering that there already exist some packages with different
> > version numbers for each binary package (see bash for an example).
>
> I don't follow you here; perhaps I'm missing something obvious.  Can
> you be clearer?

Yes, I meant that a source package may generate binary packages having
different version numbers (sorry, I forgot the word "source" :-).

bash source package is an example of this, since it generates
bash version 2.01.1-4.1 and libreadlineg2 version 2.1-12 (in slink).

Since the epoch is just a component of the version number, two binary
packages generated from the same source package may well have the same
"visible" version-number but a different epoch.

Thanks.

--
 "2dadf623522f62ced986b42e54c1433d" (a truly random sig)