Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Steve Lamb said:
> > Reboots are bad, downtime is bad, the lack of remote access is bad, on
> > production systems. I think this was already addressed multiple times.
>
>     And Debian is used in how many production machines?  In how many desktop
> machines?
>
>     The point, as I see it, is simple.
>
>     You want static binaries?  Fine, compile them.  There, you're done.  But
> in a *VAST* >>>MAJORITY<<< of cases, they are wasteful.  Geez.
Oh, not again. That's pure demagogy (sp?) - it DOESN'T matter that they will
be useful in 10 out of 1000 cases, can't you understand it? It's the same as
if you said that mounting an air-bag in a car in a *VAST* >>>MAJORITY<<< of
cases they are wasteful. You have a choice - DON'T buy an air-bag, DON'T
install those binaries. Point.

> > can tell, there's a small disk space cost (about 200K per binary) and no
> > memory cost. There was some grumbling about the effort involved, but I
> > think that was without a full understanding of what was involved.
>
>     No memory cost?  Care to rethink that again?
Yeah, yeah. There is memory cost, of course, and a huge one - but they will
be used in such rare cases that it in *VAST* >>>MAJORITY<<< of cases doesn;t
matter.

regards,
  marek