Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

Anything that is hit frequently will be cached, so you likely won't
take much of an IO hit.

I just don't think shell scripts call mv, ln, cp, rm[dir], and cat
all that often. What I mean by that is not that they don't use it
extensively, or that they aren't extremely important, but that if
you instrumented your system you wouldn't find it was a big deal.

My main reason for believing this is that I have a bunch of *BSD
systems that have cron jobs running all kinds of shell scripts
every minute or two, everything in /bin is statically linked, and
I have never noticed even the least impact on my system as a
result of it.

It's true that BSD systems have much smaller binaries than Linux
systems do. However that's mostly because of the choice of libc.

If the static binaries were ONLY available as statics, you could
compile them with the old libc and they would be reasonably small.
This wouldn't require having extra packages and stuff, since these
would be the only copies.

If you are going to have static and non-static versions of them, then
it doesn't much matter if the rarely used static versions in /sbin
are big or not, so you could just compile them with glibc and not
care about the extra space.

Justin