Re: ITP: Cricket (was Re: ITP: RRDTool)

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 11:27:12AM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> I've packaged (but haven't uploaded) the Perl packages needed by Cricket
> (SNMP_Session and one or two others whose names I can't remember offhand).
> The reason I haven't uploaded is that they need to modified slightly
> dependancy-wise after the move to 5.005 (they're also my first Perl
> packages so I'm trying to be as careful as possible :) There is also
> a license problem with SNMP_Session (it doesn't have one) and I'm
> waiting for the author to get back to me.

Cricket needs:

    MD5                Available in libdigest-md5-perl
    Time::HiRes        Available in libtime-hires-perl
    LWP                Available in libwww-perl
    DB_File            Part of perl-5.005 (perl5)
        Date::Parse    Available in libtimedate-perl
    SNMP_Session
    RRD                Being worked on by
                         Mika Fischer <mfischer@bart.hnonline.de>

My package currently depends on the packages above (those that are
available).

I threw together a quick package for SNMP_Session, since I didn't find one in
the distribution, but I haven't tested it really, other than ensuring that the
Perl modules are installed in the correct place (since it contains no loadable
modules, this should be all that is required).  This was also my first Perl
package.  I had planned to contact the author about the licensing issue, but
since you've already taken some action on this issue, I'd just as soon leave
the official package to you.

> Let me know if you want copies of those packages as it will probably take
> me a week or two before I upload them to master as I'm rather swamped
> ATM. For the moment I will only be able to give you the debian/ dir from
> SNMP_Session because of the license issue.

My Cricket package has progressed about as far as it can until the RRD package
is ready for testing (what? /usr/local? blecch...).  Mika plans to have it
ready sometime after August 28, so if you could send me the debian/ directory
around that time (if you haven't been able to upload it yet), that would be
very helpful.

I got in touch with the person who had originally ITP'ed Cricket, and he has
passed the torch to me.  I have also exchanged mail with the Cricket
author, and he has proposed that version 0.70 should be a stable release worthy
of packaging.  This is the version that i have based my package on.

--
 - Matt