Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

Those are extreme cases, yes. But in general I do want to be able to
fix my systems without having to reboot, and I would like to be able
to use Debian.

Here's the point: Other OS's do cater to me, and they do provide me
with the kinds of guarantees I need and expect. There may be some
tweaking I have to do to make myself happy with them--but the less
work I have to do to make the system reliable, and the more I believe
it is a primary goal of the people who built the OS, the happier I
am going to be.

Debian has an opportunity to become an important OS for highly reliable
systems. The package manager is smarter than most peoples, and it really
is impressive to watch Debian upgrade everything under the sun without
knocking down X.

In my view, all it needs now is a little more reliability.

If you want to use Debian only on your desktop--fine. That's not why
I run Unix systems. I run them on my desktop too, but I and most people
I know earn a living by putting software on them and turning them
into servers.

Justin