Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

I believe that the idea is that slink can be updated with new packages that have
been TESTED by users for several months.  By including these in an update
release, it makes Debian look more up-to-date.  I remember hearing complaints
after the release of slink because 3.3.2 was the version of xfree86 and 3.3.3
was available.  The maintainers of XFree86 had a new .deb of 3.3.3 READY and
tested on slink within a month(it's been a while, but it was probably faster
than that).  Because we had no update plans, it was and still is unreleased
officially for our stable release.  The solution is that tested packages that
have been created by the maintainers and have been tested SHOULD be able to make
it into stable, even after release.  It doesn't need to be a full "tree", it's
just another update, call it Debian 2.1R3 instead of 2.1r3 since it's more than
just a patch, but less than a full release.

							Dave Bristel