Re: gpstrans copyright

On Fri, Aug 13, 1999 at 08:08:48AM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> I concur. Once the author has said "public domain" he has promised not
> to sue anybody over anything they do to the work; with the explicit
> exception about removing the copyright notice.

You can't do that.  If you state that something of yours is in the public
domain, you have abandoned your claim of copyright.  It is only copyright
which permits you to implement licensing terms (well, patents do as well
but I assume they don't apply here).

The license is fundamentally self-contradictory and meaningless.  Someone
very badly needs to speak with him and educate him on these issues.  As it
stands, his work probably reverts to the default copyright state...his,
with all rights reserved.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    You should try building some of the
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    stuff in main that is modern...turning