Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

    SB> On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 03:27:55PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski
    SB> wrote:
    >> BTW: A completely new thought: How about source dependancies?
    >> ;-)

    SB> you should read the -policy weekly summaries :)

 and the policy summaries have indicated ? that source dependancies
are a no-no?  or that ?source dependancies are a good thing?

  one of the few things that the free-bsd group has is the ability to
build software from source in a fairly auto-type-mode. I think that
this is in-part because of the packages based dependency facilities
that are used for both the kernel and the packages.

 if such dependencies could be made reliable, then it would be much
easier to rebuild an entire set of packages when an a set of libraries
has changed.

  using pre-install and post-install to update a master dependency
list for source builds would be (IMHO) a good thing.

Kermit Tensmeyer   - kermit@brite.net    [  dallas, texas ]
   and this is my opinion, and not the property of anyone else!