gpstrans copyright

Hi

gpstrans is in main, but I think it is non-free. the copyright file is:

This package was debianized by James R. Van Zandt jrv@vanzandt.mv.com on
Fri,  7 Aug 1998 19:37:56 -0400.

It was downloaded from
ftp://ftp.mayko.com/pub/gpstrans/gpstrans-0.33-mk.tar.gz

Copyright:

GPStrans Licensing Information
------------------------------

GPStrans is FreeWare. I'm releasing this source code to the public domain.
You can redistribute it as often as you want as long as you let the original
copyright notice in. If you like to do changes to GPStrans, please contact
me before so that we can coordinate the work.

GPStrans is Copyright 1995 by Carsten tschach (tschach@zedat.fu-berlin.de).
The datum translation-routines are based on the program MacGPS from John F.
Waers (jfwaers@csn.net).

The auther is obviously confused about freeware, free software, public
domane etc. here is the top of one of the source files:

/****************************************************************************/
/*                                                                          */
/* ./gps/dms.c   -   Convert to various position formats                    */
/*                                                                          */
/* This file is part of gpstrans - a program to communicate with garmin gps */
/* Parts are taken from John F. Waers (jfwaers@csn.net) program MacGPS.     */
/*                                                                          */
/*                                                                          */
/*    Copyright (c) 1995 by Carsten Tschach (tschach@zedat.fu-berlin.de)    */
/*                                                                          */
/* Permission  to use, copy,  modify, and distribute  this software and its */
/* documentation for non-commercial purpose, is hereby granted without fee, */
/* providing that the  copyright notice  appear in all copies and that both */
/* the  copyright notice and  this permission  notice appear in  supporting */
/* documentation.  I make no representations about  the suitability of this */
/* software  for any  purpose.  It is  provides "as is" without  express or */
/* implid warranty.                                                         */

Maybe the author could be persuaded to change the license. I have not
tried to find out what the license of macgps is.

Regards

--
Rob Murray