Re: For the Abolishment of "Ports"

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 09:48:35AM -0700, David Bristel wrote:
> While I agree that being completely i386 oriented on the web page, I will point
> out that the vast majority of systems out there are x86 based(I don't like the
> i386 since I've prefered AMD CPUs over Intel since the 486 days).  This being
> the case, I'd suggest going to a more even "homepage", with the focus being all
> the different platforms.  So on the homepage, we would simply have X86, MIPS,
> Alpha, M68K, etc... as the links, each of which would have it's own news page.
> This may seem like it would fragment out the different flavors of Debian, but it
> would at least make it appear that we are being impartial about which platform
> gets the most focus.  I would also like to propose that we get away from having
> a single version number to cover each platform.  The reason for this is that
[snip]

I disagree. Debian should attempt to be as uniform as possible across
all supported platforms. Indeed, most programs run the same between
different systems, so seperate pages for each platform may become
redundant. Ditto for releases, although you may make a case for
per-architecture releases for something as major as glibc.