Re: Depenency Bugs in Debian Packages (long)

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 11:06:26PM +0000, David Coe wrote:

> > [ispell dependency problems]
> The problem here is that ispell, and most (all
> but the above four) of the ispell dictionaries,
> have "Architecture: i386".
>
> I suspect that the ispell dictionaries are not
> (should not be) architecture-specific, and that
> should be very easy to fix.  But how can I
> determine whether ispell is i386-specific?  (In
> theory it should not be.)  Should I just upload
> one with "Architecture: All" and see what fails?
>
> Is there advice somewhere for converting old
> i386 packages to All?

The ispell dictionaries are stored in a binary, hashed format for fast lookup,
and so they very well may have architecture dependencies (e.g., endianness).
They are in /usr/lib/ispell (not /usr/share/ispell), probably for that reason.

file(1) seems to know about them:

americanmed+.hash: little endian ispell 3.1 hash file, 8-bit, capitalization, 52 flags and 100 string characters

--
 - Matt