Re: Release critical bugs...

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 12:00:48PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> >   38804 bash broken $RANDOM behaviour
> > [FIX] This is probably a feature.
> Don't think so. It's just crazy to have another random number after each
> second. I don't think this is release critical though.

I agree that this looks like a bug, but is it release critical? Which
software does depend on $RANDOM to give distinct numbers in a subshell with
finer graduation than a minute?

Note that bash's random should probably not used for purposes where high
quality reandom numbers are essential (security, encryption) anyway.

I question that this is release critical and should be downgraded (or at
least exempted from the release critical bug list).

> Okay, I am running out of time. I will go through the rest tomorrow.

This is a long list :-(. Thanks for the work, Thorsten.

Marcus