Re: unstrip, debug infos for packages

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 02:00:11PM +0200, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> I allways find it anoying that debian binaries don't carry debug
> information. I know that most people don't need them and that they are
> realy big, so including them on a general basis even for potato is out
> of the question.
>
> What I thought of now might be a good idea:
> The strip binray could be patched, so that it extracts the debug info
> and saves it into another file (<bin>.dbg or so). The striped binary
> and that debug info dogether could then be used to reconstruct the
> unstriped bins with an unstrip program. The debian packages would be
> left unchanged, but additionally for each package there could be a
> <package>-dbg.deb package that unstrips the relevant binaries during
> install.

If your idea is feasible, it is sure a great idea. What would be the
dependencies from the compiling environment? It should need the same version
of the libraries used by the upstream maintainer?

[snipped]

--
Francesco Tapparo				 |	cesco@debian.org
fight for your software freedoms: www.fsf.org    |      tapparo@mat.unimi.it