Re: Is debian accidentally desupporting i386 processors?

Ezra Peisach <epeisach@auriga.rose.brandeis.edu> writes:

   So, is Debian, by using the egcs compiler configured on a 486
   inadvertantly producing code that might die on a 386?

   Unfortunately, snmpd when compiled -m386 also dies - so I need to diagnose
   that some more - it could be an egcs optimization bug for 386 specific
   code.

   Am I barking up the wrong tree - or might this be a problem?

You are barking up the wrong tree.  From the egcs manual:

    `-mcpu=CPU TYPE'
	 Assume the defaults for the machine type CPU TYPE when scheduling
	 instructions.  The choices for CPU TYPE are: `i386', `i486',
	 `i586' (`pentium'), `pentium', `i686' (`pentiumpro') and
	 `pentiumpro'. While picking a specific CPU TYPE will schedule
	 things appropriately for that particular chip, the compiler will
	 not generate any code that does not run on the i386 without the
	 `-march=CPU TYPE' option being used.

    `-m386'
    `-m486'
    `-mpentium'
    `-mpentiumpro'
	 Synonyms for -mcpu=i386, -mcpu=i486, -mcpu=pentium, and
	 -mcpu=pentiumpro respectively.

Therefore, -m486 by itself will produce code that will run on a 386.
--
"How could this be a problem in a country
 where we have Intel and Microsoft?"