Re: Working for Debian is not just about packages

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 08:10:42PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> sen_ml@eccosys.com writes:
>
> > At around 31 Jul 1999 18:13:24 +0200,
> >  Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> may have mentioned:
> >
> > > Using info means starting xemacs, which is sometimes not running.
> >
> > how about using the info command from the info package?
>
> Call it personal dislike of the info package. Its just missing some
> essential features xemacs info mode has or I just havent learned the
> keycodes for them

the textmode /usr/bin/info info-browser is probably the worst
documentation browser program i've ever had the misfortune to use.
abysmal user interface, clumsy to use, it never does what you expect,
and the search facility is next to useless.

there are some nicer alternatives, however:

  - info2www and dwww if you have a web server and web browser installed.

  - pinfo is an excellent text-mode info-browser.  it can browse man pages
    too.  keybindings are reasonable, but i'd personally like them to be
	more like 'less'.

  - tkinfo is a good lightweight X GUI info-browser.

using these (rather than /usr/bin/info) will make you realise that the
info format is only half as bad as it seems...which is still pretty bad.
texinfo may make for very nice printed documentation but it's awful for
on-line browseable hypertext documentation.

craig

--
craig sanders