Re: Depends generated by maintainer scripts

> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, James Mastros wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 10:54:00PM -0400, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> > > the process of getting the binary from the official site.  I have that
> > > working using wget in the postinst script. However that means that
> > > setiathome has to be made dependent on wget. At a later point of time,
> > > if the user wants to remove wget, he/she would have to remove
> > > setiathome first or use dpkg exceptions to remove wget.
> > You could simply "sugest" (or even recommend) wget instead of the
> > heavy-handed "depend", and give the user a message and tell them to download
> > the tarball and put it in /tmp if they don't have wget.  This would probably
> > work fairly well -- though I'm not certian if you'd get the ordering you
> > want if wget and dpkg are installed in the same {apt,dpkg} run.

Sugessting or recommending wget would be a bug, if you use wget. DON'T.
Requireing something in /tmp is anoying.
Downloading directly from the web might not be possible.

Your in trouble boy.

You could download the setiathome via a small perl script, wget is
probably overkill. That removes one problem.

You should test for the setiathome in /tmp and if not present, inform
the user that he has to put it there or that he has to go online now
to get it automatically downloaded.

> do you know what netscape deb maintainer did time ago? at package
> configuration it looked for a tarball in /tmp. only if it doesn't find
> the tarball it prints info on how and where download it

I got pretty anoyed about it, because it didn't work the first x times
until I had the right tar with a wrong name changed to what the
script wanted. I prefer the current communicator packages.

MfG,
	Goswin