Re: Unsupported Debian [was: Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer]

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 11:33:35AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 1999, at 19 h 31, the keyboard of Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho
> <gaia@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > > - the fact that new maintainers applications are no longer processed, except
> > > in some specific cases.
> >
> > AFAIK this is not true.
>
> In theory, may be. In practice, seeing the number of requests from candidates
> which got no reply at all, it seems true.

IIRC (it's been a while and I unfortunately didn't save the message) I
DID get what appeared to be an automated reply saying I would be
contacted soon.  I expect this message is no longer being sent, since
the follow-up is not happening quickly.

The Debian Developer's Reference says you will be contacted and to
inquire if you haven't heard anything within 7-14 days. I'm sure the
pile of email resulting from this doesn't help.

I plan to continue working on some packages and will probably place them
on my own server if anyone is interested.  I'll also keep watching the
situation. If the sponsorship plan is goes into effect, that's fine with
me.  There are also many ways which those of us who are in the
new-maintainer queue can still contribute, such as answering questions
on debian-user (although I seem to ask nearly as many questions as I
answer).

Obviously a new way of handling new-maintainer applications is needed.
Forty years ago (yes, I'm one of the "old guys") this would have
bothered me much more than it does now. I fear some enthusiastic folks
are becoming discouraged and will go elsewhere.

As the number of developers grows, it should be possible to assign some
of the administrative functions like this to people who, although they
may be qualified to do so, are not intensely involved in stamping out
bugs and have time to work on some of the organizational aspects of
Debian.  I'll even volunteer to help out in these areas.

Bob