Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

Carl Mummert <mummert@cs.wcu.edu> writes:

> >You really want to make it easy for script kiddies to play with us?
> >
> >Faking an official document like a birth certificate is a serious crime.
> >I doubt many people would want to go that far just to screw Debian.
> >

> Hacking is a serious crime (ask the people who keep getting arrested for it).
> Credit card fraud is a serious crime.  Kids do both, very often.
>
> If a script kiddie is going to break into the system, is there some reason
> to believe that they would be unwilling to forge a birth certificate?

So they might fake a birth certificate, but they won't lie on the telephon?

> If each new developer were forced to have an old developer sign her pgp key,
> this would be an improvement over the current security system, and would
> also make it easier and faster to accept new developers.

As much as I understood, thats a possible way to ensure one is the one
stating to be and to ensure once key is correct. I have my key signed
by a developer, still doesn't seem to make any speed difference.

> The fact remains that the debian policy is to discourage new developers
> by making it slow and difficult to get an account.

The policy doesn't make it hard. It was pretty easy to apply. What
gets onto peoples nerves is the time waiting in the dark without any
word. Maybe their mail has failed or not, one never knows. THAT has to
change. I'm willing to wait 3 month for becoming a debian maintainer
and probably have to wait much longer, but I want to be told that
someone is working on my application, so the waiting is worth it.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin