Re: Why is libgtk1.2-1.2.3-1 bloating dynamically linked binaries (was: Why is libc-2.1.*.so not stripped?)

    Richard> I use Depends: lesstifg (= ${Source-Version}) in lesstif,
    Richard> and it works fine.

That's exactly what I have in my control file for libglib1.2-dev,
and it doesn't work:

Package: libglib1.2-dev
Architecture: any
Section: devel
Depends: libglib1.2 (= ${Source-Version})
Suggests: libgtk1.2-dev, libgtk1.2-doc
Conflicts: (lots of things snipped)
Provides: libglib-dev, libglib1.1-dev
Replaces: (lots of things snipped)

however, it doesn't turn out that way:

[ben@gilgamesh:~/src/glib-1.2]% dpkg --info libglib1.2-dev_1.2.3-1_i386.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 108704 bytes: control archive= 1150 bytes.
     887 bytes,    19 lines      control
     865 bytes,    14 lines      md5sums
     150 bytes,     8 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
      56 bytes,     7 lines   *  prerm                #!/bin/sh
 Package: libglib1.2-dev
 Version: 1.2.3-1
 Section: devel
 Architecture: i386
 Depends: libglib1.2

(snip)

Note the lack of a version for the Depends:.

Perhaps it's something to do with debhelper. Are you using debhelper
at all? Is there any way I can get you to take a look at my
debian/rules to see if I'm doing an improper dh_clean or something?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters A and U and the number 16.
"It should be illegal to yell 'Y2K' in a crowded economy."