Re: Configuring postgresql

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 06:38:26PM -0500, Douglas Bates was heard to say:
> I'm having trouble trying to install the postgresql_6.5-3 package in a
> potato system.  Is there a known work-around for the following error?

  This is interesting, because I have yet a third problem with postgresql:

bluegreen:~> sudo apt-get install postgresql
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libpgsql2
  libpgsql2 postgresql
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/830kB of archives. After unpacking 2005kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Selecting previously deselected package libpgsql2.
(Reading database ... 75899 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libpgsql2 (from .../libpgsql2_6.5-3_i386.deb) ...

Selecting previously deselected package postgresql.
Unpacking postgresql (from .../postgresql_6.5-3_i386.deb) ...

Although you have no existing database files in the standard locations,
you have a postgresql directory at /usr/lib/postgresql

To protect executables that you may need for dumping an older
database, they are being moved to /usr/lib/postgresql/dumpall/unknown

Setting up libpgsql2 (6.5-3) ...
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libgmp2.so (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /lib/libNoVersion.so.1 (No such file or directory), skipping

Setting up postgresql (6.5-3) ...
Updating /var/postgres/.profile ...
Now installing the PostgreSQL database files in /var/postgres/data
su postgres -c cd /var/postgres; . .profile; initdb -l /usr/lib/postgresql/lib -r /var/postgres/data -u postgres
.: .profile: not found
dpkg: error processing postgresql (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 postgresql
E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)
Exit 100
bluegreen:~>

 (the stuff in /usr/lib/postgresql seems to be libpq.so.* and psql)

  This is on a recent (until the mirrors broke :) ) potato system.

  Daniel

--
  Believe in the Great God Om or be stricken with thunderbolts?
  Is that the way it always has to be?

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_