Re: usr/share/doc and dhelp

Package:  doc-base
Version:  0.7.4
Severity: normal

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 09:32:23AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Why doesn't dhelp clean these up on it's own?
>
> install-docs will do this.  If you use dh_installdocs, prerm will get:
>
> # Automatically added by dh_installdocs
> if command -v install-docs >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>         install-docs -r <doc-id>
> fi
> # End automatically added section
>
> If not using install-docs, "dhelp_parse -d <dir>" should also remove
> the .dhelp file(s).  install-docs appears to do the work using
> dhelp_parse.

Thank you for your response. Seems like I didn't analyse the problem
completely. It's not as general as I thought it would be. Up to now
I can only confirm it for the doc-base package. I checked it on 3
different machines.

When updating from 0.7.3 to 0.7.4 (which moves the docs from
/usr/doc/doc-base to /usr/share/doc/doc-base) the package leaves
the old directory with a .dhelp file as well as a subdir with another
.dhelp file. dpkg complains about non-empty directories which cannot
be removed.

Maybe this is connected with the way update-menus is run (?, by install-docs?)
or with the version of install-docs that is used. I seem to remember the
"cannot remove non-empty directory" from other earlier updates of doc-base.

Looks like a bug in doc-base (therefore cc'ed to submit@bugs.debian.org as
well).

Greetings,

  Ulf