Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian and becoming a registered Debian developer

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 01:57:35PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> Isn't that why a current developer has to sign the new deveoper's
> key?

A signature from a current developer is not required - at least wasn't
when I was accepted in January.

> Or so I would think... my point was that there is all this social baggage
> holding the distribution back.

Is it?

> I can verify if you require that, at least twice in the past week, someone
> asking how to be a new maintainer wsa told, on this list, that 'they will
> be more likely to accept you if you work on a wnpp'.

Were these statements from the new-maintainer team?

> There is control over who joins: You have to verify your identity with a
> current member before you can join, and you have to swear that
> you uphold the idea of free software, etc.

I was not required to swear anything before I joined.

> There is control over who stays:  you have to upload packages, keep them
> current, fix the bugs.  If you don't, I assume there is a way to remove
> idle developers from the list.

Assumptions are dangerous.  AFAIK, no developer has been removed from
the project because of idleness.

> That is pure hyperbole, and intended
> only to throw the discussion off track.

No, it is not.  I mentioned a hypothetical takeover by MS to make a valid
abstract concern concrete.  I don't expect the potential to actualise
anytime soon.

Is MS the Linux community's trigger for Godwin's Law?  I hope not.
MS is not responsible for mass deaths.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)