Re: Request for more finely grained classification of packages

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:

[snip]

>   admin/
>     config/                <-------- linuxconf, dotfile-*
>     debian/                <-------- dpkg, apt, menu
>     misc/                  <-------- stuff that doesn't categorize well--
>                                     eg, queue
>     monitor/               <-------- acct, gtop (maybe, see below)
>     network/               <-------- ipchains, etc.
>     priviliges/            <-------- makepasswd, sudo, secure-su
>     security/              <-------- tripwire

[snip]

It HAS been suggested before, but I do really like this idea... It has
been thought out well, and presented well.. I do think it deserves some
sort of comment by the policy team.

[snip]

>   I could keep going on and on here, but I'll stop in a second :)  There's
> one other really essential thing; we need a package-management interface that
> will allow you *to collapse and/or hide these hierarchies*.  Gratuitously
> overwhelming the user with information is not cool (which is what this whole
> suggestion is about :) ) and one really important way to help with this is to
> let the user make stuff that he/she isn't interested in *go away* so that no
> more mental CPU cycles are wasted considering it.

[snip]

Again, suggested before, but a DAMN good idea.  gnome-apt covers this
slightly, but I feel that gnome-apt leaves a lot to be desired... ESP. its
layout of folders/trees of packages. I cannot for the life of me get it to
look like a dselect layout.

This deserves at the very least, an evaluation on its viability as even a
new feature to the current dselect. I would even offer my VERY limited C
knowledge to try and implement it.. hell, I did the pppd DNS server fetch
implementaion as a personal project.. took me one day.

Yes, I am one of the few who *still like* dselect.

                     Michael Beattie (mike@omnic.dhis.org)

      If it can't be fixed with Vise-Grips & duct tape, it can't be fixed.