Re: ash vs. bash

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

>> This is what I meant. b - make ash the /bin/sh shell - because it
>> is faster, and equally POSIX compliant.

> If people are going to keep making this claim, someone needs to post
> some useful numbers. I'm not interested in whether ash starts .2s faster
> than bash; if people want to argue that using ash speeds up the system,
> let's have some real comparisons of common system tasks. I'd like to see
> some real justification before breaking a working system.

Here's some interesting example: The /etc/init.d/rc script from the
file-rc 0.4.8 package is a little bit slow on my 486DX40 machine. When
changing from runlevel 1 to 5 in debug mode, this takes 12.1 seconds
with bash and only 2.3 seconds with ash. As you can see ash is 5 times
faster in this special script.

This is an interesting real time example, because someone worried
about this script being soooo slow (on my K6/200 machine this script
runs in less than a second also with bash, so it's not really a
problem, but on a old machine ash will really increase performance).

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF