Re: How to access mailserver

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 10:56:36AM +0200, Andreas Tille was heard to say:
> There is no exim call anywhere because /etc/init.d/exim stops
> immediately and the cron jobs do only periodically start.
> I consider it to be hard for the unexperienced user (obviosely
> I count to this set in the topic of configuring a working
> e-mail) to get it work and we should simplify this, which
> is importand for any modem user.

  I think you may have a weird bug somewhere, I've configured exim a number of
times and the "smarthost" selection sets it to run from inetd automagically
without any interference from me.  (now, there are other problems with dialup
accounts, eg making sure that exim doesn't use an invalid hostname when talking
to the outside world, but this isn't one of them)

  So..it's not really a design flaw, more of a bug :)

  Daniel

--
  Using a metaphor in front of Ridcully was like a red rag to a--was like
using something very annoying in the presence of someone who was very annoyed

              -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_